Marshall’s BIRTH Day.

14 Feb

Sweet Baby Marshall…

Your birthday will always be one to remember.

Mother Nature sure dealt us a full house on that cold, grey, second day in February.  Much of the nation faced one of the worst snow and ice storms it had seen in decades.  Lucky for us, the snow blizzard hit west and east of us-leaving many of our friends and family out of town literally snowed in.  Our friends in Chicago woke up to nearly two feet of snow outside their doors-and we received texts from them saying “Be glad you’re not trying to have a baby in Chicago right now! You wouldn’t be able to drive to the hospital!”

While we didn’t see much snow, the ice definitely came our way, and on the eve of your birthday we worried all night long that we would lose power.  Our lights kept flickering on and off, and we watched the news as they reported thousands of residents were without power.  Luckily, we made it through the night with electricity and heat!  I got a phone call early that morning saying that our doctor’s office was without power and that we’d need to see Dr. M at the other location of our OB practice.  We rushed around getting ready for the appointment, putting everything in its place hoping that the next time we’d return home, we’d have you in our arms.

The ride to the doctor’s office was stressful.  The driving conditions were terrible.  The roads were icy and many of the traffic lights were out due to all the power outages around town.  I remember gripping Daddy Perks arm as he drove, hoping that he’d get all of us there in one piece.  I could feel my blood pressure elevating as we coasted through each intersection, praying that we would not get in an accident.

Once we arrived-we saw Dr. M and he checked my cervix.  He smiled and asked, “When do you want to have a baby?” And I eagerly answered, “Today!!!”  He then called our hospital to schedule our induction for 12 pm sharp.  We had just enough time to leave, take your big brother over to Nana’s, and grab a quick bite to eat before heading to the hospital.

Hugging Henry one last time before we headed off to the hospital…

Our last family photo sans Baby Marshall…

It was such a strange feeling to know that after waiting for so many months, we’d finally be meeting you later that day.

All through lunch we called and texted our nearest and dearest friends and family to tell them you were on your way.  You should be so proud of how many people were rooting for your arrival.

When we got to the hospital we seemed to do a lot of hurrying up to wait.  Once we finally got through registration and checked in with the nurses, we were sent back to the waiting room as they prepared our labor and delivery room.  It was almost 2 pm before we finally settled into our room where we would later meet you for the very first time.  We met our fabulous nurse Meagen, and knew right away you were in good hands.  We were laughing and joking throughout the whole labor, and she took the best care of us.

Around 3 pm they started giving me petocin to jumpstart my contractions.  I was 3 cm dilated and anxious to get the show on the road.  We were determined for you to be a Groundhog Day baby!  And just in case you ask us later in life (when you know what Groundhog Day is) Punxsutawney Phil predicted an early spring that day…so we’ll see if his prediction was right in a month or so!

Mama Perks talking to Nurse Meagen…happy to finally be in labor!

The next few hours, we did lots of waiting and visitors started to arrive.  Nana, Mimi, Aunt Megan all came to see us as we labored-and everyone was anxious to meet you.

Around 6 pm the nurses checked my cervix and I was still only 4 cm.  I was slightly discouraged because I was hoping to have a quick labor-and I started to wonder if we would actually have you before midnight-as you seemed to be taking your sweet old time.  When Dr. M came in at 7 pm-he took one look at me and said: “You’re not looking uncomfortable enough-let’s get this party started.”  Daddy Perks and I smiled-because we love our doctor, and we were glad he was ready to get down to business.  He broke my water and had Nurse Meagen up my petocin.  I then had my epidural and while needles that big are never fun-the warm, tingly sensation they bring is well worth a few jabs in the back.

Between 8 and 10 pm I quickly jumped from 5 to 9 cm dilated and we knew you were making your final descent.  More visitors came-we saw Aunt Corey, Uncle Jason & Aunt Shanti, Grandpa Mel, and Uncle Ryan.

Around 10:30 pm I started to feel the urge to push.  I told Nurse Meagen I was ready to push and she checked me one final time and said we would indeed start pushing soon.  Her shift was ending at 11 pm and I was sad because I was hoping she’d be able to finish the journey of labor with us, but was pretty certain you wouldn’t come that quickly. She notified Dr. M and he came in around 10:50 pm so we could begin pushing.  I remember thinking this was odd because with your big brother Henry, we pushed for at least a half hour before Dr. M came in.  I remember thinking, is he going to be here the whole time we push?  But what I didn’t know is I’d only have to push two times before you came out!

We literally began pushing at 10:55 pm, and after two contractions-you were out!  It happened so quickly that I barely had time to blink.  One thing that was different about your  birth vs. your brother’s…I decided to watch this time as you came out.  There was a mirror on the ceiling and they angled it so that as your tiny little head popped out I was able to witness that miracle.  It was truly incredible.

As any women who has given birth can attest to, the minutes directly after you give birth are both a blur and a state of euphoria unlike any other…so much so that I didn’t even realize that when you came out, you had the cord wrapped around your neck, and you were blue! Bright BLUE!  Daddy Perks later told me that he leaned over to Dr. M right after you came out, and said “Is that color normal?” Dr. M assured him that one in four babies come out with the cord wrapped around their neck, especially when the baby comes so quickly…

I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves…

The first moment you were placed in my arms…SEE-bright blue!

So happy to finally meet you.

Finally getting cleaned off…

You were a big boy! Almost a whole pound bigger than your brother!

Baby Marshall & Doctor M…BEST doctor ever.

Happy Mama…Happy (still re-gaining his color) Baby.

Daddy Perks & his second-born son 🙂

First shot of Mom, Dad & Baby!

So…to sum it all up…one gigantic ice storm…lots of love and support…eight hours of labor…two pushes…and out came Baby Perks # 2!

Something tells me the next couple years of raising two boys under the age of two won’t be quite so easy as labor and delivery…

Many PERKS to come…including tales of Superbowl Sunday, our first trip to the ER, and adjusting to our new normal here in the Perks Household…

Happy Monday Loyal PERKS followers 🙂




3 Responses to “Marshall’s BIRTH Day.”

  1. Erica February 16, 2011 at 8:23 am #

    Shubs: read this again and it brought tears to my eyes! He’s perfect!!! You are so blessed- I love you so much! Cannot wait to meet him!

  2. Tucker's Mama February 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

    So happy for you all! Marshall is absolutely perfect!!! I’m so glad everything went well, making it to the hospital in one piece AND a smooth delivery! (btw, I used a mirror with Tucker and there is no better way to go!!! How incredible to see such a miracle!)
    Can’t wait for more posts and pictures!!!
    Love ya!

  3. Abby February 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

    Awwwww! Congrats, again!!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: